Larin Fe 1.5/30 is a combination drug which is used for birth control. The contraceptive contains 2 female hormones, ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone.
Indications for use
- Hormonal contraception.
Mechanism of action
The drug acts by preventing the full development of a woman’s egg each month. As a result, spermatozoa cannot enter the uterus and pregnancy is prevented.
Dosage and mode of application
Each Larin Fe 1.5/30 pack consists of 21 active tablets and 7 inert ferrous fumarate tablets. The last 7 tablets are designed t to facilitate ease of drug use via a 28-day regimen and do not provide any therapeutic effect.
Start taking tablets on the first day of your period or on the first Sunday after your period begins. You may need to use a non-hormonal backup method of birth control when you first start taking this contraceptive. Consult your doctor for more details.
Take 1 tablet each day, for 28 subsequent days, at about the same time of a day. Once your pack is empty, start a new one without interruption. Menstrual-like bleeding should begin 2-3 days after you have taken the last active tablet from the pack. Try not to miss tablets because this increases the risk of fertalization.
Do not exceed the dosage of the drug. Overdose can cause nausea, fainting, difficulty breathing, vaginal bleeding/spotting, vomiting. In the case of overdosage, seek emergency medical assistance.
In most cases, Larin Fe 1.5/30 does not cause any severe side effects. In rare cases, women can experience:
- mood swings;
- breast pain;
- stomach ache;
- abnormal vaginal bleeding (continuous, heavy, or absent);
- dark urine;
- disturbed vision;
- slurred speech;
- poor concentration;
- blood clots;
- chest/jaw/arm pain;
- dizziness, weakness;
- passing out;
- pain in the groin;
- vision changes (temporary blindness);
- rash, itching;
- shortness of breath;
- rapid breathing;
- severe headaches or migraines;
- unusual sweating;
- swelling of the face/tongue/throat).
If you have any unusual negative reactions after taking birth control pills, contact your doctor immediately.
Do not use Larin Fe 1.5/30 if you have any of the conditions listed below:
- pregnancy and breastfeeding period;
- hepatic adenomas or carcinomas;
- cerebral vascular or coronary artery disease;
- thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders (including a history);
- breast cancer;
- cancer of the endometrium or other estrogen-dependent neoplasia;
- vaginal bleeding of unclear etiology;
- jaundice during the previous pregnancy;
- jaundice due to sex hormones in the past;
- use of ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir, dasabuvir or other medications for treating hepatitis C.
Do not combine Larin Fe 1.5/30 with the following drugs:
- tranexamic acid;
- St. John’s wort;
Drugs based on ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone may change the results of some laboratory tests (blood clotting, thyroid, etc.).
Before using any birth control pill, be sure to inform your doctor if you are already using any other medications. In this case, you may need to use an additional, on-hormonal method of preventing pregnancy.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Larin Fe 1.5/30 is not indicated for use during pregnancy and lactation. Cancel the drug if you become pregnant when on pills. Do not use this preparation if you are breastfeeding a baby because ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone can get into breast milk and do harm to the baby. Besides, the active substances may reduce the amount of breast milk.
What if I miss a pill?
Missing an active pill increases your risk of getting pregnant, while missing any of the 7 inert pills may be ignored.
- If you missed 1 active pill, take 2 pills on the day you remember, then keep taking 1 pill per day until the pack is empty;
- If you missed 2 active pills in a row in Week 1 or Week 2, take 2 pills per day for 2 days in a row. Then keep taking 1 pill per day until you finish the pack. Use an additional method of preventing pregnancy for at least 7 days following the missed pills;
- If you missed 2 active pills in a row in Week 3, throw out the remaining pills and start a new pack immediately if you are a Day 1 starter. If you are a Sunday starter, keep taking 1 pill a day until Sunday. On Sunday, throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day;
- If you missed 3 active pills in a row in Week 1, 2, or 3, throw out the remaining pills and start a new pack immediately if you are a Day 1 starter. If you are a Sunday starter, keep taking 1 pill a day until Sunday. On Sunday, throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack immediately.
If you missed 2 or more active pills of Larin Fe 1.5/30, you may not have a menstrual bleeding during this month. If you miss 2 periods in a row, visit your doctor because you might be pregnant.
While using combination oral contraceptives, you will need to undergo general and gynecological medical examinations at least 2 times a year.
If you have spotting during the first 3 months of use, there is no need to worry and the body needs to get adapted to the medication. Consult your gynecologist if bleeding continues after 3 months of use or becomes unusually heavy.
After delivery, you should wait 4 weeks prior to using this method of contraception.
If you are smoking, you have an increased risk of cardiovascular side effects with severe complications. Do not use this drug if you are a smoker over the age of 35.
If you have severe diarrhea or vomiting, you should use an additional backup method of preventing pregnancy for at least 7 days.
If you are planning to undergo an extensive surgery or need a prolonged bed rest for some reason, you should cancel this medicine for a while. Tell your doctor or surgeon that you are on pills.
Store the medication at room temperature, at a dry place, away from moisture.
Keep out of reach by children.
Before using the drug, be sure to tell your doctor if you have ever suffered from a migraine, diabetes, heart problems, high low pressure/low blood pressure, gallbladder disease, lumps, nodules, irregular menstrual periods, underactive thyroid, liver or kidney disease, overweight, an abnormal mammogram, depression, high cholesterol levels.
Larin Fe 1.5/30 and any other birth control pills will not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases. For this, you need to use a condom.
Discard the unused pills after the expiration date.