Aurovela Fe 1.5 / 30 is a contraceptive drug containing 2 hormones – progestin and estrogen. The main aim of this medication is pregnancy prevention by the suppression of ovulation.
Indications for use
Mechanism of action
Aurovela Fe 1.5 / 30 is an estrogen-progestin contraceptive preparation. This drug has the following therapeutic effects:
- the reduction in the production of gonadotropic hormones, which leads to the suppression of ovulation;
- the increases the viscosity of cervical mucus;
- the decrease in the transport function through the fallopian tubes;
- changes in the endometrial implantation ability.
Mode of application and dosage
Aurovela Fe 1.5 / 30 contains 21 active pills containing ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone in the dosage – 1mg/30mcg. The latest 7 pills contain Ferrum. These pills are considered inactive. The course lasts for 28 days. The pill should be taken daily at the same time of the day. The pill should be washed down with water. The menstruation will start the 2-3 day during the placebo pills’ intake. If something wrong happens it is necessary to visit a gynecologist to exclude pregnancy.
There are the following contraindications:
- currently diagnosed or prior transferred thrombosis and conditions preceding thrombosis including transient ischemic attacks, angina pectoris;
- revealed acquired or genetical receptiveness to venous or arterial thrombosis);
- high risk of venous or arterial thrombosis;
- currently diagnosed or prior transferred migraine complicated by focal neurological symptoms;
- diabetes with diagnosed vascular complications;
- liver failure and severe liver disease;
- diagnosed or transferred liver tumors;
- severe renal failure, acute renal failure;
- adrenal insufficiency;
- diagnosed hormone-dependent malignant diseases;
- vaginal hemorrhages of unknown origin;
- pregnancy: diagnosed or suggested;
- hypersensitivity to any of the components of the drug;
- hypersensitivity to peanuts or soy.
Aurovela Fe 1.5 / 30 is well-tolerated but may cause the following side effects:
- tenderness of the mammary glands;
- change in body weight;
- impaired libido.
Substances that increase the clearance of Aurovela Fe 1.5 / 30 are phenytoin, barbiturates, primidone, carbamazepine, rifampicin, and possibly oxcarbazepine, topiramate, felbamate, griseofulvin, as well as preparations containing St. John’s wort.
Substances with different effects on Aurovela Fe 1.5 / 30 clearance
When used together with this birth control drug, many inhibitors of HIV protease or hepatitis C virus and non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors can either increase or decrease the concentration of estrogen or progestin in the blood plasma.
Substances that reduce clearance COCs (enzyme inhibitors)
Strong and mild inhibitors of CYP3A4 isoenzymes, such as azole antimycotics (for example, itraconazole, voriconazole, fluconazole), verapamil, macrolides (for example, clarithromycin, erythromycin), diltiazem, and grapefruit juice, can magnify estrogen concentrations or progestin, diltiazem. The prosthetic juice can increase the concentration of estrogen or progestin, diltiazem, and grapefruit juice can increase the concentration of estrogen or erythromycin, prophylactic, and erythromycin.
What if I miss a dose?
The missing of placebo pills has no effect on the contraceptive effect.
The recommendations should be made only to skipping active pills. If the delay in taking the drug was less than 24 hours, there is no risk to become pregnant. The missed pill should be taken as fast as possible.
If the delay in taking the pills is more than 24 hours, the contraceptive effect can be decreased. It is necessary to apply additional contraceptive methods to protect from an unwanted pregnancy.
Aurovela Fe 1.5 / 30 and pregnancy
The drug is contraindicated during pregnancy. The use of the drug during breastfeeding is contraindicated.