Microgestin Fe 1/20 is a preparation containing ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone as the main components aimed at pregnancy prevention. The pregnancy is prevented by the ovulation suppression.
Indications for use
- pregnancy prevention;
- uterine hemorrhages of unknown etiology.
Mechanism of action
The mechanism of action includes the following steps:
- there is a reduction of LH and FSH serum concentrations;
- there is an LH increase in the middle of the menstruation;
- there is a decrease in the synthesis of estrogens and progesterone as a result, providing a suppression of ovulation.
- a damage of spermatozoa passing through the fallopian tube;
- the formation of tight viscous mucus with cervical glands. The transferral to the fallopian tubes becomes almost impossible.
Mode of application and dosage
The regimen includes 28 pills. Microgestin Fe 1/20 be should be taken the 5th day of the menstruation. The pills should be taken daily at one and the same time. There is no need to take a break. 21 pills contain active ingredients, the other 7 are “inactive”. Even if the menstruation starts you should not discontinue taking placebo pills within 7 days.
- You are allergic to any Microgestin Fe 1/20 components;
- Diagnosed pregnant or suggested pregnancy;
- Abnormal growth of breast or breast cancer, cervical or uterine cancer or vaginal hemorrhages of unknown origin;
- Blood vessels in the brain (stroke); clogging of blood vessels in the legs, lungs, heart or other parts of the body; or any other cardiac dysfunctions;
- Hepatic diseases, its tumors, or yellowing of the eyes or skin during pregnancy or during previous use of Microgestin Fe 1/20 or a similar birth control preparations;
- Currently taking acitretin, aprepitant, barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), modafinil, nevirapine, penicillins (eg, amoxicillin), protease inhibitors (eg, indinavir), rifamycins (eg, rifampin), St. John wort, tetracycline (eg, doxycycline), topiramate, or troglitazone.
- Severe allergic reactions (rash, bushes, itching);
- Problems with breathing;
- Chest tenderness;
- Swelling or edema of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue;
- Incorrect menstruation regimen;
- Leg pain, swelling, or tenderness;
- The number of urine changes;
- Pain in the chest or tenderness;
- Confusion; coughing with blood;
- Dark urine;
- Mental or mood changes; depression is possible;
- Tightening in the arm or leg;
- Pale stools;
- Constant vaginal spotting;
- Constant, severe or recurring headaches and dizziness;
- Severe pain or tenderness in the abdomen;
- Broken speech;
- Sudden severe headache or vomiting;
- Severe vaginal bleeding of unknown etiology;
- Unusual tiredness or weakness;
- Vaginal irritation, discharge, or change in vaginal secretions;
- Visual changes (eg, sudden loss, double vision);
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (with or without fever).
- Acitretin, aprepitant, azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), modafinil, nevirapine penicillins (eg, amoxicillin), protease inhibitors (eg, indinavir ), rifamycins (eg, rifampin), St. John’s Wort, tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline);
- Topiramate, or troglitazone they may reduce the effectiveness of 1/20 Microgestin Fe. When taking these medications, you will need to use alternative methods of contraception (eg, condoms);
- Beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), cyclosporine, theophyllines or troleandomycin may increase the risk of side effects or organism toxicity;
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) may magnify the severity of the side effects, including facial swelling, weight gain, fluid retention, high blood pressure, elevated blood sugar levels, or changes in the skin;
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) may increase Microgestin Fe 1/20 side effects, including the risk of bleeding. However, it is also possible that the effectiveness of this contraception can also be reduced;
- Lamotrigine effectiveness can be reduced by means of Microgestin Fe 1/20; Stopping Microgestin Fe 1/20 can lead to serious side effects.
What if I miss a dose?
The skipped dose should be taken immediately if this is an active pill. If it is a placebo pill you’d better throw it away from the package. If you have any questions you are welcome to get acquainted carefully with the instruction for use or visit your doctor.
Microgestin Fe 1/20 and pregnancy
It is contraindicated to get Microgestin Fe 1/20 during pregnancy and breastfeeding.