Lomedia 24 Fe is a monophasic low dose birth control prescribed to protect women from an unwanted pregnancy.
Indications for use
Mechanism of action
Lomedia 24 Fe is a microdose monophasic oral combination contraceptive drug having in composition estrogen and progestin. The auxiliary constituent is Ferrum ferrate.
The contraceptive effect of this birth control drug is mainly carried out by suppressing ovulation and increasing the cervical secretion viscosity.
In women taking combined oral contraceptives, the periods become more regular and painless. The intensity and duration of menstruation decrease. The risk of iron deficiency anemia is also decreased. There is also an evidence of the risk reduction of suffering endometrial and ovarian cancer.
Mode of application and dosage
Lomedia 24 Fe should be taken orally in the order specified on the package. The dosage should be taken daily at the same time. It is recommended not to chewing the pill, but washed down with a small amount of water. Take 1 tab./day continuously for 28 days. Taking the pills from the next pack begins immediately after the end of the previous pack. Menstruation usually starts 2-3 days when you start taking hormone-free pills. They may continue while taking the pills from the next pack.
Lomedia 24 Fe is contraindicated in the presence of any of these conditions:
- diagnosed or suggested thrombosis (venous and arterial) and thromboembolism;
- diagnosed or suspected conditions foregoing thrombosis inclusively of transient ischemic attacks, angina pectoris;
- diagnosed or suggested migraine accompanied by symptoms of focal neurological conditions;
- suggested or established pancreatitis complicated by severe hypertriglyceridemia;
- diabetes accompanied by vascular complications;
- liver failure and liver disease of severe condition;
- severe and/or acute kidney failure;
- adrenocortical insufficiency;
- benign or malignant hepatic tumors: diagnosed or suggested now or in the medical history;
- specified hormone-dependent malignant neoplasms inclusively of neoplasms of the genitals or mammary glands;
- vaginal bleeding of unclear genesis;
- positive pregnancy test;
- rare hereditary lactose intolerance, lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption);
- hypersensitivity or intolerance to any of the constituents.
- Increased platelet rate causing the risk of blood clots;
- Limbs’ swelling;
- Weight gain;
- Decrease libido;
- Decrease in tolerance to carbohydrates, namely to glucose;
- Increased breast size causing its tenderness;
- dysfunction of the liver, which manifests itself in the form of jaundice;
Funds that increase the clearance of Lomedia 24 Fe (lowering the effectiveness by induction of enzymes) are: phenytoin, barbiturates, primidone, carbamazepine, rifampicin, and possibly also oxcarbazepine, topiramate, felbamate, griseofulvin, as well as remedies containing St. John’s wort.
Funds with different effects on clearance of this birth control: when used in conjunction with Jes Plus, many HIV protease or hepatitis C virus inhibitors and NRTI can either increase or decrease the concentration of estrogen or progestin in the blood plasma. In some cases, this effect may be clinically expressed.
Means of reducing clearance COCs (enzyme inhibitors): strong and moderate inhibitors of CYP3A4, such as antifungals group azoles (e.g., itraconazole, voriconazole, fluconazole), verapamil, macrolide antibiotics (e.g., clarithromycin, erythromycin), diltiazem and grapefruit juice may increase plasma concentrations of estrogen or progestin or both.
What if I miss a dose?
Skipping the additional placebo pills has no influence on the effect. However, the missed pills should be thrown away in order not to accidentally extend the period of taking the placebo pills. The following recommendations apply only to skipping active pink tablets (tablets 1-24 per pack).
If the delay in taking any active pill was less than 24 hours, there is no reduction in contraceptive effect. A woman should apply the skipped tablet as soon as possible continuing the application of the birth control at the usual period of time.
If the delay in taking any active tablets of Lomedia 24 Fe was more than 24 hours, a contraceptive effect can be reduced. The more pills are missed and the closer the skip pills to the phase of taking placebo pills, the higher the level of pregnancy is.
Lomedia 24 Fe and pregnancy
Lomedia 24 Fe is not recommended to be taken during pregnancy. There are clinical studies confirming the negative effects of the hormones to the newborn’s health.
The breastfeeding is not recommended as well. There is a risk of hormones to enter the milk bringing damage to the child’s health.