Larin Fe 1 / 20 is a microdose birth control medication. It is produced to prevent an unwanted pregnancy in women being sexually active.
Indications for use
Mechanism of action
Larin Fe 1/20 – low-dose monophasic oral combined medication containing estrogen and progestin – norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol.
The contraceptive effect of the drug Larin Fe 1/20 is carried out through complementary mechanisms. The most important effect is the ovulation suppression The second effect lies in the increase in the cervix secretion viscosity, which results in difficulty for spermatozoa to penetrate the uterus.
With accurate drug use, the Pearl Index is less than 1. If you miss a dose or use the drug incorrectly, Pearl’s index may magnify.
Mode of application and dosage
Larin Fe 1/20 should be taken in the order specified on the blister, every day at about the same time. The regimen includes 1 tablet daily for 28 days in a raw. The application of each next package starts the day after taking the last pill from the previous package. Menstruation-like hemorrhage usually starts on the 2-3rd day of taking placebo pills and may not end before starting a new package.
The contraindications specified on the blister of Larin Fe 1 / 20 are:
- venous thromboembolism or its history (for example, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary thromboembolism) in combination with risk factors or without them;
- a hereditary or acquired susceptibility to venous thromboembolism (resistance to activated protein C (including Leiden factor V), deficiency of antithrombin III, protein C or protein S);
- great surgical interventions accompanied by a long-lasting immobilization;
- arterial thromboembolism or its medical history, in particular, myocardial infarction and cerebrovascular accident;
- the presence of serious or multiple risk factors for venous or arterial thrombosis;
- diagnosed or suggested blood stroke;
- severe form of hypertension;
- diabetes complicated by manifestations of micro – or macroangiopathy;
- visual impairments of vascular genesis;
- diagnosed or suggested hormone-dependent malignant tumors of the breast and genital organs;
- severe kidney failure or acute kidney failure;
- diagnosed or suspected severe hepatic disorder;
- hepatic tumors, pancreatitis;
- diagnosed or suggested pancreatitis, if it is associated with severe hypertriglyceridemia;
- hereditary intolerance to fructose, Lapp-lactose, malabsorption of glucose-galactose;
- vaginal bleeding of unknown etiology;
- migraine complicated by focal neurological signs;
- hypersensitivity to the active substance;
- amenorrhea of unclear genesis;
- pregnancy and lactation.
Side effects, the appearance of which requires immediate withdrawal of Larin Fe 1 / 20 are:
- arterial hypertension;
- hemolytic uremic syndrome;
- hearing loss due to otosclerosis.
Rarely met: arterial and venous thromboembolism (including myocardial infarction, stroke, deep vein thrombosis of the lower extremities, pulmonary thromboembolism);
Very rare: arterial or venous thromboembolism of the liver, mesenteric, renal, retinal arteries and veins; Sydenham’s chorea;
In the case of the other side effects, less severe, but more common the feasibility of continuing the use of the drug is decided individually after consulting a doctor assessing the benefit/risk ratio.
- Reproductive system: acyclic bleeding, amenorrhea after drug discontinuation, a change in the state of vaginal mucus, the development of vaginal inflammatory processes (for example, candidiasis), change in libido.
- Mammary glands: tension, pain, enlargement, galactorrhea.
- Digestive tract and the hepatobiliary system: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, epigastric pain, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, hepatitis, liver adenoma, the occurrence or worsening of jaundice and/or itching associated with cholestasis, cholelithiasis.
- Skin: nodular/exudative erythema, rash, chloasma, hair loss.
- Сentral nervous system: headache, migraine, mood changes, depressive states.
- Metabolic disorders: fluid retention in the body, a change (increase) in body weight, an increase in the number of triglycerides and sugar in the blood, a decrease in carbohydrate tolerance.
- Organs of senses: hearing loss, increased the sensitivity of the cornea while wearing contact lenses.
- Other: allergic reactions.
It is possible to combine Larin Fe 1 / 20 with drugs that induce hepatic microsomal enzymes, as a result of which the clearance of sex hormones can increase, which, in turn, can result in “breakthrough” uterine bleeding and/or to a decrease in the contraceptive effect.
For women who receive treatment with such drugs together with this birth control, it is recommended to use a barrier method of contraception or choose a different non-hormonal method of contraception. Barrier contraceptive method should be used during the entire period of taking concomitant drugs, as well as within 28 days after their discontinuation.
The following means increasing the clearance of the birth control drug are: phenytoin, barbiturates, bosentan, primidone, carbamazepine, rifampicin and HIV treatment agents (ritonavir, nevirapine and efavirenz) and, possibly, also oxcarbazepine, topiramate, nevirapine and efavirenz, felbamate, nevirapine and griseofulvin, as well as preparations containing St. John’s wort.
What if I miss a dose?
The missing of placebo pills can be neglected.
If the delay in taking the pill was less than 24 hours, the reliability of contraception is not reduced; Larin Fe 1 / 20 must be taken as soon as possible, and the following tablets should be taken at the usual time.
Larin Fe 1/20 and pregnancy
Larin Fe 1/20 is contraindicated when you are diagnosed with pregnancy. The breastfeeding should be stopped when taking birth control drugs.