Melodetta 24 Fe is a birth control drug containing 28 pills. It contains 2 female hormones ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone.
Indications for use
Melodetta 24 Fe is prescribed for an oral contraception.
Mechanism of action
Melodetta 24 Fe belongs to a combined oral birth control drug containing 2 female hormones: progestin and estrogen. Its contraceptive effect is achieved thanks to norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol suppressing an ovulation, increasing the cervical secretions’ viscosity. It contributes to the difficulties for spermatozoa to enter the uterine cavity. This birth control also changes the endometrium preventing attachment of a fertilized egg to the fallopian tubes.
Mode of application and dosage
Melodetta 24 Fe is intended for an oral administration for 28 days. The regimen includes 1 pill per day at one and the same time. This is a chewable pill that’s why it is should be completely dissolved in the oral cavity for the est result.
Melodetta 24 Fe is prohibited for an application due to the following contraindications:
- hypersensitivity or allergy;
- thrombosis (venous and arterial) and thromboembolism;
- transient ischemic attacks;
- angina pectoris;
- current or prior migraine complicated by focal neurological symptoms;
- arterial hypertension;
- pancreatitis with severe hypertriglyceridemia now or in history;
- hepatic failure or/and severe liver disease (until normalization of liver function tests);
- hepatic tumors (benign/malignant);
- severe dyslipoproteinemia;
- spotting or bleeding of unknown origin;
- simultaneous use of Melodetta 24 Fe with medications containing Hypericum perforatum;
- postmenopausal period;
- breastfeeding period;
- age up to 18 years.
- Infections and invasions: often – fungal infections, nasopharyngitis.
- Mental condition: often – depression.
- Nervous system: very often – headache; often – migraine.
- Digestive tract: often – nausea, abdominal pain.
- Skin, subcutaneous and soft tissues: often – acne
- Musculoskeletal system and connective tissues: often – back pain.
- Reproductive system and the mammary gland: very often – painful menstrual bloody allocations/bleeding; often – metrorrhagia, breast sensitivity.
As with other COCs, the following side effects may develop for women:
- venous thrombosis;
- arterial thrombosis;
- cerebrovascular disorders;
- increased blood pressure;
- liver tumor;
- impaired liver function;
- impaired glucose tolerance or the effect on peripheral insulin resistance;
- acute pancreatitis;
- visual impairment;
The following interactions are not possible. It should be excluded to take the following medications with Melodetta 24 Fe:
- phenytoin, vemurafenib, bosentan, barbiturates, primidone, rifabutin, carbamazepine, rifampicin;
- oxcarbazepine, felbamate, topiramate, griseofulvin and preparations containing St. John’s wort;
- HIV protease inhibitors (for example, ritonavir) and NNIOT (for example, nevirapine), and combinations thereof;
- some antibiotics (for example, penicillin and tetracycline).
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose it is necessary to regulate how much time has gone from that moment. If less than 12 hours have gone there is no high risk for fertilization. In such a way, a woman needs to take the pill and continues taking the medication. In the case, if more than 12 hours have gone it is necessary to apply additional contraceptive methods as the effectiveness of birth control drug is reduced.
Melodetta 24 Fe and pregnancy
Melodetta 24 Fe is prohibited during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The risk for fetus on the early stages is high. The hormones may have an influence on its formation and further development. It is recommended to withdraw birth control when you are breastfeeding because the hormones have a priority to enter breast milk changing its composition dangerous for the newborn’s health.