Necon 0.5 / 35 is a birth control preparation containing norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol. This medication contains a low dose of hormone which brings no damage to the female body.
Indications for use
Mechanism of action
The combination of norethindrone + ethinyl estradiol (Necon 0.5 / 35) includes the following factors:
- suppress the gonadotropic hormones’ secretion;
- inhibit the maturation of follicles;
- interfere with the process of ovulation;
- decrease the endometrium responsiveness to the blastocyst;
- elevation of cervical secretions viscosity, making it difficult for sperm to penetrate the uterine cavity.
Mode of application and dosage
The package usually contains 28 tablets. Take1 tablet daily for 28 days without any breaks. The pill is intended for a daily application at one and the same time. When a woman starts taking placebo pills the menstruation will come the 2-3 day. The next package should be started the latest placebo pill has been taken even if the menstruation has not been completed.
The package may also contain 21 tablets (no hormone-free tablets). In this case, take 1 tablet daily for 21 days. Then take a break for 7 days. You’ll get your period during this no-hormone week while you aren’t taking any tablets.
Necon 0.5 / 35 has a number of contraindications. A woman should inform the doctor if some of these conditions are diagnosed or suggested:
- hypersensitivity to the constituents of the drug;
- pregnancy or breastfeeding;
- hepatic disorder of a severe form;
- liver tumors;
- congenital hyperbilirubinemia;
- diagnosed or suggested cardiovascular and cerebrovascular changes of a severe form;
- malignant tumors, especially attention is paid to cancer of the mammary glands or endometrium;
- family forms of hyperlipidemia;
- arterial hypertension of severe state;
- severe forms of diabetes and other diseases of the endocrine glands;
- sickle-cell anemia;
- chronic hemolytic anemia;
- gallbladder disorders;
- age over 40 years;
- vaginal bleeding of unclear genesis;
- migraine-like headaches;
- idiopathic jaundice of pregnant women in the anamnesis;
- severe pruritus of pregnant women;
- herpes of pregnant women.
Necon 0.5 / 35 is usually well tolerated.
Possible side effects having a temporary origin that disappears spontaneously are: nausea, vomiting, headache, tenderness temporary of the mammary glands, changes in body weight and libido, mood changes, acyclic bleeding, in some cases – eyelid edema, conjunctivitis, blurred vision, discomfort when wearing contact lenses. These effects will disappear without conducting any therapy.
When this birth control drug is taken for a long period of time, the following negative reactions may be observed: chloasma, hearing loss, generalized itching, jaundice, cramps of the gastrocnemius muscles, an increase in the frequency of epileptic seizures.
Rarely observed side reactions are: hypertriglyceridemia, hyperglycemia, reduced glucose tolerance, increased blood pressure, thrombosis and venous thromboembolism, jaundice, skin rashes, changes in the nature of vaginal secretion, candidiasis, increased fatigue, diarrhea.
Steroid hormones rate may be increased when used simultaneously with barbiturates and some antiepileptic drugs (carbamazepine, phenytoin). A decrease in the effect of Necon 0.5 / 35 is observed in the case of the simultaneous use with some antibiotics (ampicillin, rifampicin), which relates to the means having an influence on the intestinal microflora. The effectiveness of the combined oral contraceptives reduces in the case of the constant excessive ethanol application. Moreover, when applying the progestin-estrogen drugs, hypoglycemic drugs may require dosage correction.
What if I miss a dose?
The missed active pill should be applied within the next 12 hours. If 36 hours have passed since the latest tablet was taken, the contraceptive effect cannot be considered reliable. In order to avoid intermenstrual bleeding, the drug intake should be continued from the already started packaging with the exception of the missed tablet (s). If a woman skips the active pills especially if it is close to the placebo pills it is better to use additional contraceptive methods.
Necon 0.5 / 35 and pregnancy
According to medical trials, it is contraindicated to take Necon 0.5 / 35 during pregnancy and lactation. There were observed the cases when hormone penetrates the breast milk provoking health damages of the child.