LoSeasonique is a birth control drug containing a microdose of 2 hormones – progestin and estrogen. The course lasts for 91 days. The pregnancy prevention is guaranteed.
Indications for use
LoSeasonique is prescribed for an oral contraception.
Mechanism of action
LoSeasonique relates to a combined oral contraceptive preparation. This estrogen-progestin drug is intended for a long-term use within 91 days. The contraceptive effect lies in the inhibition of ovulation, an increase in the cervical secretion viscosity. It contributes to the difficulty for spermatozoa to enter the uterine cavity. When using this birth control medication, the number of menstruation reduces to 4 per year.
Mode of application and dosage
The preparation is taken by mouth for 91 days in a raw. 1 pill once a day at the same time. The correct order is specified on the package.
The drug should be taken according to the recommendations and at spans of time not over 24 hours to maintain the greatest contraceptive effect. LoSeasonique application should be begun on the 1st day of the menstrual cycle. There are cases when this birth control may be started on the 2-5th day of the menstrual cycle. But in this case, it is recommended to use the barrier method of contraception in addition during the first 7 days.
- Thrombosis or inherited or acquired predisposition to venous or arterial thrombosis;
- Migraine with the complications like focal neurological symptoms currently diagnosed or observed in the anamnesis;
- Uncontrolled arterial hypertension;
- Diabetes mellitus complicated by diabetic angiopathy;
- Pancreatitis with severe hypertriglyceridemia currently diagnosed or observed in the anamnesis;
- Hepatic failure and severe hepatic dysfunction;
- Hepatic tumors (benign or malignant) currently diagnosed or observed in the anamnesis;
- Severe dyslipoproteinemia;
- Defined or suspected hormone-dependent malignant diseases;
- Bleeding from of non-defined genesis;
- Age under 18 years old;
- Simultaneous use with preparations containing Hypericum perforatum;
- Hypersensitivity to any of the substances included in the drug composition;
- Galactose intolerance, lactase deficiency or glucose-galactose malabsorption, because the drug contains lactose;
- Postmenopausal period.
Еhe following side effects may develop in women who take LoSeasonique:
- venous thrombosis;
- arterial thrombosis;
- cerebrovascular dysfunctions;
- increased arterial blood pressure;
- hepatic tumor;
- impaired liver function;
- disordered glucose tolerance or the effect on peripheral insulin resistance;
- acute pancreatitis;
- visual impairment;
Liver microsomal enzymes inducers can result in an increase in the sex hormones clearance. The result for such a combination is a “breakthrough” bleeding or decrease in the reliability of contraception. The following medications are included in the list: phenytoin, bosentan, vemurafenib, barbiturates, primidone, carbamazepine. rifampicin. rifabutin. It is also possible to take oxcarbazepine, topiramate, felbamate, griseofulvin and preparations containing St. John’s wort. The maximum induction of enzymes is reached within 10 days and lasts for 4 weeks after the end of their application. During the application of medications which influence the microsomal hepatic enzymes, and within 28 days after their discontinuation, the barrier method of contraception should be additionally used.
HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir) and non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (eg, nevirapine), and their combinations, also may affect the hepatic metabolism.
Women undergoing a short-term treatment with any of the mentioned above preparations and substances, with the exception of rifampicin should temporarily apply a barrier method of contraception in addition to the oral contraceptive preparation within 7 days after the therapy completion.
Women taking rifampicin and griseofulvin should use a barrier method of contraception in addition to the oral contraceptive even within 28 days after the therapy withdrawal.
What if I miss a dose?
The reliability of the contraceptive effect may decrease if a woman forgot to take an orange pill containing ethinyl estradiol + levonorgestrel, and especially if the patient forgot to take the 1st pills from the blister.
If the delay in taking the drug was less than 12 hours, there is no risk to become pregnant. First of all, a woman should take a pill as soon as possible. The next pill is taken at the common time.
If the missing of 1 or several orange pills happens for more than 12 hours, contraceptive protection may be reduced. The pill should be taken as fast as possible. Moreover, additional contraceptive methods should be used.
LoSeasonique and pregnancy
LoSeasonique cannot be applied when a woman is diagnosed with pregnancy. Moreover, the medication may influence the breast milk. So that, it is better to exclude the medication application during the breastfeeding.