Cyclessa is a hormonal contraceptive preparation containing gestagens. The substance is referred to the third generation of progestogen. The medicine is released in the form of tablets.
Indications for use
- Oral contraception;
- Disorders of the menstrual cycle;
- Premenstrual syndrome.
Mechanism of action
The main components prevent ovulation, change the cervical mucus density. After taking the drug, the level of estradiol decreases to values that are characteristic of the early follicular phase.
The frequency of cases when pregnancy, despite taking the drug, still occurs, is comparable with the frequency with the use of estrogen-progestational drugs. The Perl index is 0.4.
Cyclessa has no effect on carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, does not distort the parameters of hemostasis.
After taking the birth control pills, the substance quickly and almost completely undergoes hydroxylation and dehydrogenation reactions, resulting in the formation of an active metabolite, etonogestrel. The metabolite, in turn, is also metabolized, forming glucuronide and sulfate conjugates.
Biological availability is about 70%. Maximum of its concentration in blood plasma substance reaches within 2 hours. The drug has a high degree of binding to plasma proteins – from 54 to 78%. The equilibrium concentration is observed on the 4th-5th day of admission.
The product is excreted in breast milk. A child can receive from 1 hundredth to 5 hundredths of a μg of funds for the normal volume of milk consumed during the day.
Mode of application and dosage
- Tablets are taken orally with water.
- On average, the daily dose is 150 μg.
- The medicine is taken every day, once, preferably at the same time.
- The order according to which you need to take the remedy is usually described on the package.
- Duration of admission is 28 days. Next, you need to open the next package and start taking the medication, as indicated in the instructions.
- Thromboembolic processes (including in the anamnesis);
- Hypertension (severe);
- Liver disease (including in the anamnesis);
- Jaundice (cholestatic, during pregnancy, caused by the use of steroid drugs, estrogen-dependent tumors (including suspicion);
- Endometrial hyperplasia;
- Vaginal bleeding of an unclear etiology;
- Severe itching;
- Herpes caused by pregnancy or steroid treatment.
- Headache, migraine;
- Frequent mood changes;
- The appearance of unpleasant sensations in the cornea when wearing contact lenses;
- Arterial Hypertension;
- Nausea, vomiting;
- Cholelithiasis, cholestatic jaundice;
- Tenderness in the mammary glands (milk may appear);
- Intermenstrual bloody discharge;
- Amenorrhea (after cancellation);
- Changes in cervical (cervical) secretion;
- Increased uterine fibroids;
- Exacerbation of endometriosis;
- Microbial vaginal diseases;
- Fluid retention;
- Change in the body weight;
- Nodular erythema;
- Decreased sensitivity to glucose.
- Simultaneous reception of activated carbon, other enterosorbents and covering the gastric mucosa can lead to a decrease in the absorption of the drug.
- The effectiveness of the substance is reduced in case of simultaneous use with ampicillin, griseofulvin (can cause bleeding), doxycycline, carbamazepine, levothyroxine sodium, nevirapine, oxcarbazepine, primidone, rifabutin, rifampicin, tetracycline, topiramate, phenytoin.
- The drug has an effect on glipizide, metformin (can cause hyperglycemia).
- Cyclessa increases the plasma concentration of retinol.
What if I miss a dose?
In case, the pill is skipped within the first 12 hours you should take the drug immediately. If you are not sure may use additional contraceptive methods.
In case more than 12 hours have passed take 2 pills at one and the same time. Use additional methods of contraception.
In any case, be attentive and not skip the birth control pills. The effect doesn’t keep for any time. The level of hormones in the organism is sustained by a constant regimen of birth control pills application.
Cyclessa and pregnancy
It is acceptable to use the drug in the early stages of pregnancy. But as soon as the pregnancy becomes diagnosed, the medication should be discontinued. After consultation with a doctor, the remedy can be prescribed during breastfeeding.