Caziant is a combination birth control pill containing two hormones, desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol, used to prevent pregnancy.
The main indication for using Caziant is protection from unwanted pregnancy. This drug is considered the contraceptive of the first-line choice.
In addition, the drug can be used for:
- premenstrual syndrome;
- functional disorders of the menstrual cycle.
Active components of Caziant interfere with ovulation. This property is due to the prevention of the release of hormones. Strengthening of the effect occurs due to the increase in the viscosity of cervical mucus. Because of this, it becomes more difficult for spermatozoids to penetrate the uterine cavity. The risk of facing estrogen-dependent side effects is minimized, as the concentration of the estrogen component in the drug is very small. The second active component called desogestrel is the second generation progestogen. It normalizes lipidogram indices, provides a cholesterol balance, positively influences metabolism.
The positive effects of the combined action of desogestrel and ethinylestradiol:
- the skin condition improves;
- blood loss is reduced;
- the likelihood of gynecological pathologies (including tumors) decreases;
- the menstrual cycle is normalized.
Caziant 28-day pack contains 7 pills of desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol 0.1 mg/25 mcg, then 7 pills of 0.125 mg/25 mcg, then 7 pills of 0.15 mg/25 mcg, then 7 inert pills (with no hormones).
These birth control pills are indicated for oral use. They are taken orally, with plenty of liquid. The course should start no later than the 5th day of the menstrual cycle. When the tablet is taken on day 2-5, it is necessary to use additional methods of contraception in the first week. Do not allow missing tablets or breaks for three weeks. Take the pill at the same time.
Once you finish the pack, begin a new pack (even if the bleeding has not stopped).
According to the instructions, Caziant in high doses can cause symptoms such as nausea and vomiting, as well as spotting from the vagina. The drug does not have a specific antidote, therefore, symptomatic treatment is prescribed. If signs of an overdose are noted in the first 2-3 hours after taking the tablets, gastric lavage may be effective.
- medium or severe hypertension;
- diseases caused by arterial thrombosis (ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction);
- diabetic angiopathy;
- venous thromboembolism in both personal and family history;
- jaundice (cholestatic or during SCS administration);
- severe liver disease;
- endometrial hyperplasia;
- the presence or likelihood of estrogen-dependent tumors;
- risk of thromboembolism in both arterial and venous channels;
- a migraine with the phenomena of focal symptomatology;
- syndromes of Rotor, Gilbert, Dubin-Johnson;
- severe itching;
- liver tumors;
- vaginal bleeding, the cause of which is not established;
- smoking (in women over 35 years of age).
Be careful when you take Caziant birth control pills with epilepsy, atrial fibrillation, heart defects, severe trauma, prolonged immobilization, varicose veins, a tendency to thrombosis, SLE, diabetes, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis.
When you have negative reactions after taking Caziant contraceptive, its further application is considered individually for each patient.
Potential side effects:
- jaundice or itching associated with cholestasis;
- soreness and enlargement of the mammary glands;
- acyclic vaginal discharge;
- ulcerative colitis;
- rashes on the skin;
- changes in the condition of mucus in the vagina;
- a migraine;
- decreased libido;
- hypersensitivity reactions;
- a headache;
- exudative erythema;
- inflammatory processes in the vagina;
- fluid retention in the body;
- an increase in body weight;
- the sensitivity of the eyes to contact lenses.
There are a number of particularly serious side effects in which the contraceptive requires immediate cancellation. The list of such negative reactions includes:
- acute blockage of veins or arteries with blood clots;
- loss of hearing;
- myocardial infarction;
- stroke (extremely rare);
- Sydenham’s chorea;
- exacerbation of Liebman-Sachs disease.
- The effectiveness of Caziant may be reduced by barbiturates, carbamazepine, rifampicin, hydantoin, primidone, felbamate, topiramate, preparations of St. John’s wort, tetracycline and ampicillin, laxatives;
- In patients with diabetes, the need for sugar-reducing drugs increases;
- The contraceptive reduces the effectiveness of caffeine, oral anticoagulants, theophylline, hypoglycemic drugs, tricyclic antidepressants, clofibrate, anxiolytics.
When an active tablet of Caziant is missed, there may be bloody discharge or ovulation due to the minimal concentration of estrogen in the composition of the drug. In this case, it is necessary to take additional contraceptive measures before starting a new cycle.
With vomiting and diarrhea, the effectiveness of the contraceptive is reduced. If vomiting or diarrhea occurs within 12 hours, you need to take another pill and then continue the standard scheme. If vomiting or diarrhea lasts longer, it is necessary to use additional methods of contraception throughout the course of the disease and even a week afterward.
Pregnancy is an absolute contraindication to the use of Caziant (desogestrel + ethinyl estradiol). Combined oral contraceptives can suppress lactation. In addition, part of the active ingredients penetrates into breast milk. For this reason, during the lactation, such a drug is not a means of choice. Reception of a contraceptive is possible from the sixth month of breastfeeding. Due to the use of Caziant before pregnancy, the risk of developing different defects of the fetus does not increase. Unintentional use of the contraceptive in the early stages of pregnancy does not cause teratogenic or mutagenic effects. The drug does not affect the sex of the fetus, It is worth noting that the potential risk associated with taking hormonal drugs is significantly greater than its benefit. If pregnancy has been established or suspected, the hormone drug should be canceled.
If you do not breastfeed, you can take the contraceptive from the first day of the first independent menstruation. Before the beginning of the course, you should consult a doctor. In most cases, additional contraceptive measures are not required.
Use of the contraceptive under different conditions:
- If you had sexual intercourse after delivery, then start taking the pill in the next menstruation;
- When you use the contraceptive more than 3 weeks after the delivery, additional measures of protection are required in the first week;
- After a spontaneous abortion or artificial abortion, the drug is taken immediately, without using other contraceptive methods.
When using other combined oral contraceptives, it is important to make the switching correctly. Start drinking the next drug after the completion of the course of previous drugs. Do not take breaks, you do not have to wait for another menstruation. If you previously used progestin-only contraceptives, start using Caziant tablets on the first day of the menstrual cycle. Additional protection through barrier contraceptives is not required. Doctors do not recommend a calendar method.
Take birth control pills with caution in conditions that increase the risk of venous or arterial thrombosis/thromboembolism:
- age over 35 years;
- family history;
- obesity (BMI more than 30 kg / m2);
- a migraine;
- valvular heart disease;
- atrial fibrillation;
- prolonged immobilization;
- extensive surgical intervention;
- lower extremity surgery;
- severe trauma;
- varicose veins and superficial thrombophlebitis;
- postpartum period;
- Alice severe depression (including history);
- changes in biochemical indices (activated protein C resistance, hyperhomocysteinemia, antithrombin III deficiency, protein C deficiency or S, antiphospholipid antibodies, including antibodies against cardiolipin, lupus anticoagulant);
- diabetes mellitus not complicated by vascular disorders;
- Crohn’s disease;
- ulcerative colitis;
- sickle cell anemia;
- hypertriglyceridemia (including family history);
- acute and chronic liver diseases.
Caziant does not have a protective effect against AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases. After viral hepatitis, it is necessary to wait until the indicators of the functional state of the liver come back to normal. Only after this, you can take a contraceptive. Do not start a course earlier, than in half a year after illness or disease.
When using the drug, it is necessary to take into account that the contraceptive effect of tablets decreases with:
- diarrhea or vomiting;
- missing a pill;
- simultaneous use of drugs that reduce the effect of combined oral contraceptives.
Efficacy becomes lower when you have smearing, irregular and breakthrough secretions after several cycles of taking the medicine.