Norethindrone is a progesterone hormonal contraception containing 28 pills. The company manufacturer is Avanscure Lifesciences PVT. LTD.
Indications for use
Contraception. The additional application includes the treatment of the following health conditions:
- premenstrual syndrome;
- dysfunctional uterine bleeding;
- endometrial cancer;
Mechanism of action
Gestagen. It causes transformation of the uterine mucous membrane from the proliferative phase to the secretory phase. After fertilization, this drug promotes its transition to a state favorable for a fertilized egg development. It has weakly expressed estrogenic and androgenic properties. It reduces the excitability and contractility of the uterine muscles, stimulates the development of the end breast elements.
Mode of application and dosage
- Breast cancer (including the suspect);
- Pregnancy (including diagnosed, except for cases of application in the case of the miscarriage);
- Cholestatic jaundice of pregnant women in history;
- Jaundice (including in the anamnesis);
- Acute liver diseases (including benign and malignant neoplasms);
- Acute thrombophlebitis or thromboembolism;
- Bleeding from the urinary tract of unclear etiology;
- Metrorrhagia of unclear etiology;
- Uterine hemorrhages of an unclear etiology;
Take the drug with caution in the following cases:
- bronchial asthma;
- congestive heart failure;
- arterial hypertension;
- renal failure;
- other abnormalities of the central nervous system (including history);
- diabetes mellitus;
- hepatic disease (in the anamnesis);
- thrombophlebitis in the anamnesis inclusively;
- thromboembolism in anamnesis.
Norethindrone can cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting;
- сhanges of the menstrual cycle;
- enlarged mammary glands;
- stomach upset;
- weight changes;
- a difficulty with falling asleep;
- the growth of hair on the face.
Some side effects can be severe. The following symptoms are rare, but if you experience any of these, see a doctor immediately:
- loss of vision;
- blurred vision;
- bulging eyes;
- pain, heat, or heaviness in the back or the lower leg;
- labored breathing;
- coughing up with blood;
- sudden sharp or crushing chest pain;
- heaviness in the chest;
- slow or difficult speech;
- dizziness or fainting;
- weakness or numbness in the arm or leg;
- swelling of the arms, legs, ankles or lower limbs;
- yellowing of the skin or eyes;
- mood swings;
- brown spots on the face;
- missed periods;
- sudden, severe abdominal pain;
- itching rash;
- shortness of breath or swallowing.
With the simultaneous administration of drugs-inducers of hepatic enzymes, there is an acceleration of the levonorgestrel metabolism.
The following drugs may reduce the effectiveness of levonorgestrel: amprenavir, lansoprazole, nevirapine, oxcarbazepine, tacrolimus, topiramate, tretinoin, barbiturates, including primidone, phenytoin and carbamazepine; preparations containing St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum), as well as rifampicin, ritonavir, ampicillin, tetracycline, rifabutin, griseofulvin.
It reduces the effectiveness of hypoglycemic and anticoagulant (coumarin derivatives, phenyldione) drugs. Increases plasma concentrations of glucocorticosteroids. Women who take these drugs should consult a doctor.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose for the first 12 days of the menstrual cycle you should take the pill immediately after you understand you have skipped a pill. If more than 12 hours have passed you should take 2 pills simultaneously. During the further menstrual cycle days, you should use additional methods of contraception to protect yourself from unwanted pregnancy.
Norethindrone and pregnancy
It is possible to apply Norethisterone when being pregnant in accordance with a given doctors’ recommendations. Norethisterone inhibits lactation, so if you need to use this birth control drug during this period, you should decide to stop breastfeeding.