Encare is a spermicidal suppository which is used to prevent pregnancy. The drug is inserted into the vagina shortly before sexual intercourse.
- Barrier non-hormonal contraception.
Spermicides are chemical agents that inactivate the sperm in the vagina and prevent it from passing into the uterus. Nonoxynol 9, the active ingredient of the drug, causes the death of spermatozoa providing a contraceptive effect.
The drug has a bactericidal effect. Nonoxilon-9 inhibits the growth of the following microorganisms: chlamydia, Gardnerella, mycoplasmas, gonococci, trichomonads, ureaplasma, and also reduces the contagiousness of pale treponema.
A suppository is removed from the package and administered deep into the vagina to the maximum possible depth not later than 10 minutes and not earlier than 60 minutes before sexual intercourse. Be careful, do not allow the suppository to enter the opening of the urethra. With repeated coitus, it is necessary to insert a new suppository. The frequency of use is not limited. After sexual intercourse, it is recommended to refrain from visiting the shower within 6 hours in order to maintain the contraceptive effect.
The duration of the contraceptive effect of Encare vaginal contraceptive does not exceed one hour. Repeated sexual contacts require another dose of suppositories.
Encare spermicide inserts have a number of conditions in which their use is contraindicated.
Absolute contraindications for this birth control method include:
- anatomical abnormalities or features (usually vaginal) that prevent the normal distribution of the drug;
- pronounced side effects or allergic reactions to the spermicide component;
- acute inflammation of the vulva;
- development of toxic shock;
- period of menstruation or in the case of bloody discharge (for tampons or sponges);
- the period earlier than 6 weeks after childbirth.
It is not recommended to use these nonhormonal spermicidal suppositories with an erosion of the cervix due to factors:
- infringements of a microflora of a vagina;
- damage to active substances of the epithelium of the vaginal mucosa and cervix;
- irritating effect on the mucous membrane;
- destruction of lysozyme (vaginal enzyme) with its antibacterial action.
Such factors of spermicide effects can aggravate erosion.
Encare inserts can cause the following side effects:
- vaginal irritation;
- unpleasant sensations;
Adverse reactions disappear independently, without special treatment.
Encare is not used with other intravaginal drugs: this increases the risk of reducing the contraceptive effect.
Spermicide inserts are contraindicated in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
If the pregnancy has already occurred, but the woman does not yet know about it, the active chemicals that make up the basis of the spermicide (Nonoxynol 9) can cause the deformities of the fetus. Therefore, if a pregnancy has occurred, and you used spermicides, there is no other way out – you need to go to a doctor and have an abortion.
- Contraceptive effectiveness of vaginal suppositories is low – 20 women of 100 get pregnant;
- The frequency of using Encare vaginal contraceptive is not limited;
- Do not use this drug until the onset of menarche;
- Non-hormonal spermicides can be used for contraceptive purposes both independently and with a condom (for greater efficiency);
- If a woman has irregularities in the menstrual period, she should consult a doctor;
- If a woman or her partner notice irritation on the skin, the drug should be discontinued.