Shur-Seal Gel is a vaginal spermicide which is used to prevent pregnancy. The gel is inserted deep into the vagina shortly before sexual intercourse.
- if necessary, occasional protection from pregnancy (including with irregular sexual life);
- with an irregular menstrual cycle;
- if the woman wishes to use the contraceptive independently of the partner;
- if it’s necessary to discontinue using (for a short or long time) oral hormonal contraceptives;
- with the simultaneous use of drugs that reduce the effectiveness of oral hormonal contraceptives;
- if there are contraindications to the use of oral contraceptives or intrauterine contraception.
Shur-Seal Gel is a topical contraceptive. The spermicidal effect is manifested by fragmentation, decreased mobility and death of spermatozoa. It also has bactericidal activity against a number of microorganisms, viruses, fungi that cause diseases that are sexually transmitted.
The gel is inserted into the vagina as deeply as possible, at least 10 minutes before sexual intercourse to ensure complete dissolution. When you have another sexual intercourse, use a new dose of the preparation. During 6 hours after sexual intercourse, it is not recommended to wash the vagina to avoid loss of contraceptive effect. The gel is injected into the vagina with the help of an applicator (5 ml) before intercourse.
Shur-Seal Gel is not used if a woman has any of the following contraindications:
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug;
- erosion of the cervix, salpingo-oophoritis, colpitis, vaginitis, developmental abnormalities that complicate the use of the drug.
In rare cases, Shur-Seal spermicidal gel can cause side effects:
- itching and burning in the vagina or penis.
Irritation usually disappears without taking special measures.
Because of the possible reduction of spermicidal activity, the simultaneous use of Shur-Seal Gel is not recommended with other drugs intended for intravaginal administration.
The drug is not used during pregnancy but can be used for contraception during the breastfeeding period.
- The spermicidal gel can be used in combination with a condom;
- If itching occurs, use of the drug should be discontinued;
- With frequent use of Shur-Seal Gel contraceptive, the likelihood of side effects increases.