Take Action is an emergency contraceptive pill containing 1.5 mg of levonorgestrel. The drug prevents pregnancy if taken within 3 days after you have unprotected sexual intercourse.
Emergency prevention of unwanted pregnancy if the drug is administered within 72 hours after sexual intercourse and no other contraceptives have been used or they have proved unreliable.
Take Action is an antiestrogenic and progestogen preparation. The drug is based on the levonorgestrel hormone, which has a strong effect on the body. The action of the drug can be divided into three stages.
- The delay or blockage of ovulation. The result of the first exposure is stopping the movement of the egg from the ovary. The egg cannot be fertilized without getting into the uterine tube;
- The drug affects the spermatozoa, preventing fertilization;
- The effect on the endometrium. After taking the drug, the normal structure of the uterus, its work and internal surface changes. Abortive properties consist in interfering with the normal functioning of the internal organs, uterus and ovaries, and preventing the implantation of an ovum that has already been fertilized.
One Take Action tablet contains 1.50 mg of levonorgestrel (progesterone).
Take the tablet immediately after sexual intercourse within 48 hours and not later than 72 hours.
The efficiency of emergency contraception depends on the time interval between the last sexual intercourse and the intake of the drug. The more time passed, the worse the impact. After taking a pill no later than 24 hours after sexual intercourse, the probability of an effective result is 95%. After taking a pill within 24-48 hours, the effectiveness is reduced to 85%. After taking a pill within 48-72 hours, the probability is only 58%.
After applying the drug, menstruation occurs at the intended time. In some cases, menstruation may begin several days earlier or later than expected. After using Take Action pill, a doctor’s examination is recommended to decide on the use of regular contraception.
It’s not recommended to use emergency contraception more often than once every 4 months.
If vomiting occurs within 2 hours after taking a morning-after pill, it is necessary to take another levonorgestrel 1.5 mg pill. The drug can be taken at any day of the menstrual period.
Take Action morning-after pill may cause severe side effects:
- severe vomiting;
- dysmenorrhea (including bleeding between normal menstrual periods);
- menstruation delay or irregular menstrual period;
- a feeling of tension or pain in the mammary glands.
In some cases, menstruation may delay for 5 days or more. If your menstruation delays, it is necessary to visit a doctor as soon as possible.
Take Action tablet is contraindicated to women who have problems with the gallbladder, liver, or those who have had Botkin’s disease. It is not recommended to take morning-after pills to young girls and adolescents who are still in the period of puberty. The drug can cause very serious disorders in the body of a teenager and cause huge damage to the hormonal system.
Inducers of liver enzyme accelerate the metabolism of levonorgestrel. The efficacy of the contraceptive can be reduced by barbiturates (including primidone), phenytoin, carbamazepine, Hypericum perforatum preparations, rifampicin, ritonavir, rifabutin, griseofulvin.
Emergency contraceptives containing levonorgestrel may increase the toxicity of cyclosporine due to the inhibition of its metabolism.
The drug cannot be taken during pregnancy. It does not interrupt the pregnancy that has already occurred. In the case of pregnancy after using progestogens, a teratogenic effect is not revealed.
If menstruation is delayed for more than 5 days or if it starts on time but bleeding differs from usual (meager or heavy), pregnancy should be excluded.
If fertilization occurred despite the use of Take Action contraceptive, the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy should be considered.
- Emergency contraceptive pills can be used only in extreme cases;
- Use of the drug does not always prevent pregnancy;
- Take Action cannot be used as a regular contraceptive drug;
- If you have a severe uterine bleeding, you need to consult a doctor immediately;
- The mediation does not affect concentration and mental work and does not interfere with driving;
- The morning-after pill is suitable for women whose menstrual period is regular;
- Use the drug according to the doctor’s recommendation and strictly follow the instructions. With abuse and frequent admission, levonorgestrel 1.5 pill can cause abnormalities in the ovaries.