Loryna is a monophasic microdose birth control preparation containing drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol. The drug is produced to suppress an ovulation to prevent an unwanted pregnancy.
Indications for use
Loryna is recommended to protect against unwanted pregnancies in women of reproductive age with the following concomitant conditions:
- premenstrual syndrome (PMS);
- androgen-dependent diseases (including acne, seborrhea, polycystic ovaries);
- predisposition to body fluid retention;
- initial periodic episodes of increased blood pressure;
- deficiency of folate.
As a hormone replacement therapy during postmenopause period, the substance is used according to the indications:
- vasomotor symptoms caused by menopause;
- prevention of osteoporosis;
- involution of genitourinary organs and skin;
- dysphoria and depressive conditions.
Mechanism of action
Loryna is a combined hormonal contraceptive with anti-aldosterone and antiandrogenic action.
The contraceptive effect of this medication is based on the interaction of various factors, the most important of which are suppression of ovulation and a change in the properties of the cervical secretion, due to which it becomes almost non-penetrable for spermatozoa.
When used correctly, Perl’s index (the number of pregnancies per 100 women per year) is less than 1. When missing tablets or improperly used, the Pearl index may increase.
In women taking Loryna, the menstrual cycle becomes more regular, less painful menstruation is observed less often, the intensity of bleeding decreases, which reduces the risk of anemia. In addition, according to epidemiological studies, the use of combined oral contraceptives reduces the risk of developing endometrial and ovarian cancer.
Drospirenone, contained in this birth control drug, has an anti-aldosterone effect. It prevents weight gain and the appearance of swelling associated with estrogen-induced fluid retention, which ensures a good drug tolerability. Drospirenone has a positive effect on premenstrual syndrome (PMS). The clinical effectiveness of Drospirenone + Ethinyl estradiol in alleviating severe PMS symptoms such as severe psychoemotional disorders, breast tenderness, headache, muscle and joint pain, weight gain and other symptoms associated with the menstrual cycle is observed.
Drospirenone also has antiandrogenic activity and helps to reduce acne, a fat content of the skin and hair. This action of drospirenone is similar to the action of natural progesterone, produced by the body.
Mode of application and dosage
The appropriate dosage of Loryna (drospirenone/ethinylestradiol) will depend on the patient’s current health condition. You must strictly follow the prescribing doctor’s prescriptions to achieve the safest and effective results of taking the drug. As a rule, one Loryna pill is taken once a day and washed down with a full glass of water. It is recommended to take tablets at the same time daily to achieve the most optimal reception results.
Loryna should not be used in the presence of any of the conditions listed below:
- migraine with focal neurologic symptoms presently diagnosed or in the medical history;
- diabetes mellitus with vascular complications;
- thromboses (venous and arterial) and thromboembolism at present or in the medical history inclusively of deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, myocardial infarction;
- cerebrovascular disorders;
- conditions preceding thrombosis (including transient ischemic attacks, angina pectoris) presently diagnosed or in the medical history;
- smoking over 35 years old women
- pancreatitis with severe hypertriglyceridemia presently diagnosed or in the medical history;
- hepatic insufficiency and liver disease of severe form;
- hepatic tumors (benign or malignant) presently diagnosed or in the anamnesis;
- severe renal failure, acute renal failure;
- adrenal insufficiency;
- identified hormone-dependent malignant diseases (including genitals or mammary glands) or suspected of them;
- vaginal bleeding of undefined etiology;
- pregnancy: diagnosed or suggested;
- hypersensitivity to any of the components.
|Body System||Digestive System||Skin System||Musculoskeletal System||Haematogenic System||Immune System||Nervous System||Cardiovascular System||Reproductive System and Mammary Glands||Metabolic System|
|Often – nausea. Infrequent – vomiting, abdominal pain, digestive disorders, increased gas formation, diarrhea. Rarely – a gastroesophageal hernia, oral cavity candidiasis, constipation, cholecystitis||Infrequent – itching, rash, erythema nodosum, acne||Infrequent – pain in the back and limbs, spasms||Rarely – anemia, thrombocytosis||Rarely – allergic reactions||Often – headaches. Infrequent – dizziness, sensitivity disorders, migraine. Rarely – tremor, depression, dysphoria, apathy, impaired vision||Infrequent – varicose veins. Rarely – tachycardia, venous and arterial thromboembolism, epistaxis||Often – mastalgia, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Infrequently, vaginal candidiasis, pelvic pain, fibrocystic mastopathy, vaginal discharge, menstrual irregularity, dryness of the vaginal mucosa. Rarely, dyspareunia, vulvovaginitis, mammary tumors, cervical polyps, endometrial atrophy, ovarian cyst, bleeding during sexual intercourse, decreased libido||Rarely – hyperkalemia, hyponatremia (with renal dysfunction), weight change|
Some drugs (barbiturates, hydantoin derivatives, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, rifampicin, topiramate, griseofulvin, etc.) with a long-lasting use are capable to inhibit microsomal hepatic enzymes, which entails an increase in the sex hormones clearance and a decrease in the effectiveness. Therefore, during the period of these medications’ application, additional contraceptive measures should be taken.
What if I miss a dose?
Skipping placebo tablets can be neglected. Such pills may be thrown away. The following recommendations apply only to the skipping of active tablets of Loryna.
If the delay in taking the drug is less than 12 hours, the contraceptive protection is not decreased. A woman should take the missed tablet as soon as possible, and continue the application of the rest pills at the regular time.
If the delay in taking the pills is more than 12 hours, the contraceptive protection can be decreased. The higher the probability of pregnancy is increased because of the more pills are missed and the closer the skipped tablets to the phase of taking inactive tablets.
In this case, you can follow the 2 basic rules:
- the drug course should never be discontinued within 4 days in a raw;
- the pills should be taken for 7 continuous days to achieve adequate suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian system.
Loryna and pregnancy
Loryna is contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation. It is better to exclude the application of combined hormonal contraceptives in the case of pregnancy and lactation. There is a risk of hormones penetration into breast milk. Though there were no developmental damages diagnosed in newborns it is better to stop taking Loryna as fast as possible.